Extended Range Normoxic Trimix Standards E
- Course pre-requisites: The participant must: 1. Be at least 18 years of age. 2. Prior to commencing practical training, provide proof of a current diving medical not older than two years for participants below 40 years of age and for participants over 40 years of age not older than one year. 3. Hold an IART Decompression Diver certification or equivalent certification. 4. Have completed at least 80 logged dives including at least 20 decompression dives.
- Course content/duration: This course develops in the participant, the required abilities, knowledge and techniques to dive responsibly with open circuit SCUBA in the realm of decompression dives using normoxic Trimix to a maximum depth of 60m
- Extended Range (normoxic Trimix) diver: This covers all aspects of normoxic Trimix theory and 4 normoxic Trimix dives performed over at least 2 days with a minimum accumulated open water dive time of 200 minutes. The maximum instructor-to-student ratio is 1:3. All theoretical and practical aspects of Extended Range decompression diving with normoxic Trimix. The classroom sessions explain the physical and physiological hazards of diving with normoxic Trimix, dive and decompression planning, gas management, equipment configuration for diving with 2 stages and all procedures involved. Topics covered in the practical training include Trimix gas analysis, assembly, disassembly and maintenance of equipment, gas switching, deployment of deco-buoys, stress management and emergency exercises.
- Support material: IART OC Extended Range manual, NOAA 02-exposure tables, Computer-based dive tables such as VPM, Z-Plan, etc., Instructor presentation materials and flash-cards.
- Required equipment: Complete diving equipment, separate bail-out cylinder, lift bag,
safety reel, knife or tool, decompression table, slate, depth gauge and bottom timer or
computer. The equipment should include an additional oxygen-clean regulator.
- Limits: The minimum/maximum depths during training are : OW dive 1 35-45m, OW dive 2 40-50m, OW dive 3 45-55m, OW dive 4 50-60m Maximum decompression requirements during training should not exceed 10 minutes for dive 1, 15 mins for dive 2, 20 mins for dive 3 and 25 mins for dive 4.
- Practical skills: The dives should include the proper planning, including calculation of dive profile, gas analysing and labelling, equipment familiarization (Stage bottle removal/replacement, oxygen bail-out regulator use), emergency and out-of-air procedures (gas sharing, rescue ascent, etc.), ascent reel and lift bag deployment, and proper decompression techniques.
- Certification requirements: The student must satisfactorily complete a written exam. Once training requirements are met at the Instructor’s discretion, it is necessary to submit an application in order to obtain the corresponding IART certification card. In accordance with IART quality control, the student and Instructor are required to fill in the training protocol form. The instructor must retain this form with the student file.
- Certification: IART HQ
- Certification Renewal: n/a